Saturday, July 24, 2010

Thursday, July 15

We thought the typhoon would affect the flights of our guests coming in, but fortunately they made it safely to Manila, and on time.
The rest of the week was packed with events, which fortunately had beautiful weather.

This afternoon we took some of our STAR clients on a city tour of Intramuros (downtown Manila) with IJM HQ Staff and their guests. I was feeling a little cautious for our clients, as I did not want them to feel like they had to put on a show or be something they are not, but once I saw their interactions with our guests from abroad, I was so encouraged to see how empowered the client's felt and how excited they were to show and share with others how their lives had been changed. From what they shared with me, it was an opportunity for them, not a burden.

This evening we partnered with a local church to put on the Manila Prayer Gathering. Over 100 of our partners showed up simply to pray for the cause of IJM. It was so inspiring. I got to lead a prayer group, where one of our clients joined me. We all went around to pray, and I think she prayed the most beautiful prayer I've ever heard. Although mostly in Tagalog, I was able to hear her heart and how grateful she was to be where she is today. Earlier she had told me of a recent promotion at her job with an organization that offers job to many of our clients that makes and sells organic cleaning products, and so I was able to brag on her to the group and share in her success.