Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sunday, November 14

I got to witness history today when I saw the Pacquiao fight.  I have to confess something.  The fights started at 9am this morning, so instead being a good girl and going to church, I spent my Sunday morning in a restaurant/bar...watching people fight each other.  And I'm so glad I decided to go.  To me, Manny is just so amazingly Filipino.  It made me fall in love with the Philippines even more. 

Most boxers try to come out looking intimidating and angry, but Manny came out smiling and waving while the Karate Kid song was being played in the background.  He looked so small compared to Margarito and I think we were all a little nervous.  When interviewed before the fight, the announcer asked him how he was feeling and instead of making cocky or intimidating statements he casually stated, "ehhh....I am ready to fight." 

My favorite moments were at the end, after Manny could have easily finished with a knockout, but ended up taking it easy on his opponent.  He said "boxing is not for killing, it's for entertainment."  then, when the announcer asked how he was going to celebrate after the fight, he invited everyone to a concert he would be having back at the hotel.  Yes, he is in a band, and when he's not doing one of those two things, he is also a congressman here in the Philippines.  A jack of all trades.  Then the interviewer asked if he wanted to ever fight Mayweather, and Manny's casual response was something like "eh, if he wants to fight then I will fight him and if he does not want to fight then that is OK."  I just want to be his friend.  The article below describes everything a lot better than I could.  I left the fight feeling so inspired and so proud of the Philippine nation.


link to article about fight