Sunday, November 21, 2010

Wednesday, November 17

Today was my last day of work.  I don't know, it's like for some reason my brain doesn't really register that I'm leaving.  It became the most real yesterday when I went to the shelter to go pick up some last minute pasalubong to bring home.  I decided to go to the dorm where our clients are housed just to say good bye.  It was really difficult.  I wanted to communicate to them how proud I was of them, how much hope I had for their future, and how much I loved them...which I think they got.  I hope they got. 

But anyways, the work day almost felt too normal.  I didn't feel like I was appreciating it the way I should.  I don't know if I'm just ready to go or that I feel closure from all the work that was accomplished over this year.  I have to admit...I am tired.  But I'm energized looking back over all the experiences IJM allowed me to have.  Before interns/fellows leave it required to present on your accomplishments from the year.  It almost felt therapeutic to go back to that first training in Samar...but I wasn't prepared for how well celebrated I would be.  And then the despedida (good bye party) began.  I got so spoiled. Staff from the office created picture..montage...presentations that were both funny and thoughtful, and I got real emotional when the social workers brought in several of our clients to come sing for me.  These were clients I had had the privelege on working with in the past, and I wasn't sure I would have the opportunity to even say good bye, much less be thanked by them.  What an incredible honor.  And while that would have been more than enough for a despedida, the office suprised me at the end of the day by presenting me with a drawing from me and Corey's wedding in El Nido.  It looked amazing, and I was just so blown away. 

Yes....Corey and I got married while he was here. And I'm really sorry if this is the way you found out :)