Monday, March 8, 2010

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Went to sleep at 11….and woke up at 2am to shower and finish packing for out trip. We left at 3am for the airport, and arrived at our destination around 7. We were so excited to arrive, and we could definitely tell a distinct difference in the air. We had forgotten what fresh air was like. There was so much green around….and water. I think when I pictured myself in the Philippines, it would have been more in a place like this. Very rural, but gorgeous. There aren’t many cars on the road, but tricycles (meaning either a bike or a motorcycle with attached carts to carry people on). The Filipinos are so innovative. We immediately notice IJM flyers/posters flying on the back of these tricycles. Josie, head of the Aftercare department, was so excited to see them everywhere. They had previously distributed 2000 of these “tarpolines”, but before doing so, had a half day training seminar for the drivers who would be hanging them on their tricycle. Because the drivers would be giving up half a day of work, IJM provided them with rice that would sustain their family so that they wouldn’t be missing out on an opportunity to make money for their family. I thought it was so cool that IJM thought to prepare the drivers in this way. We showed up to the office and had a very elaborate breakfast prepared…..shrimp, crab, and rice….no not dinner….breakfast.


I was feeling anxious to get to the venue where I would begin teaching, but I have been trying to prepare myself to live by Filipino time and not get too antsy when I am what I would consider to be late. The first few trainings started out pretty rocky to be honest. I think I pictured this experiential learning environment where everyone would be speaking up and discussing their experiences (much like my classes in grad school), but when I would pose a question to the group I would sit in silence….which I tried to be comfortable with for a while…but my silence didn’t make them talk. I was concerned about the language difference, and had to talk very slowly and simply so they could understand. Although there was a slight language barrier, I still felt very grateful I was in a country where I could communicate in English, and not have to learn another language before doing anything.


Before the lunch break, I could sense some frustration in the group, as well. I sat down with some just to discuss what was going on, and a woman said to me, “I’m sorry we aren’t talking, we’re just so star struck. We’ve never had an American come to teach us before.” I realized that all this work I put in could not be effective, unless everything came together for them, as well. I said a prayer asking God that this training could be relevant and useful for them the rest of the time. Throughout the rest of the afternoon I could definitely tell a difference in the groups comfort level not only with each other, but with me. And I just started asking Raymond, the social worker at the IJM Samar Satellite Office, to lead the discussions when those opportunities arose. This was good not only for the visiting social workers because they could speak in their language, but for Raymond because it helped to develop his leadership skills, and also for me because it was so much more beneficial for everyone else.

The first day just covered basic counseling skills, counseling children and adolescents, techniques, and play therapy. The group was so excited when I taught them the new technique of “reflection” instead of feeling like they had to question clients over and over again. They were just soaking everything in that I had to say, and were clearly starving for more and more information.

Before my session on just techniques in working with children and adolescents, a woman raised her hand just explaining to me how poor they were, and how they had no financial capabilities to do the kind of counseling done in the United States since they are unable to buy supplies or have play rooms for children. I spent the next hour showing them techniques to use with their clients that require minimal resources, and they were so receptive and so excited to have discovered these new ways of working with clients.



The next 2 days were going to be on a counseling theory related to trauma, so I finished the day with an experiential activity Catherine and I created in grad school, just adjusted to fit a situation related to the sex trade. It’s an activity called In Her Shoes that puts counselors in the shoes of their clients in order to better understand them. After the activity and as we closed the day, a man stood up and teared up as he talked about how powerful the activity was for him. He said he wasn’t supposed to have attended the training, but knows why he is here and is grateful he was able to come.



I passed out at like 8pm that night and slept beautifully.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God is so good! :)