Monday, March 8, 2010

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

So did I mention that Edgar and I have a bodyguard here? Yes, it makes me feel important, and slightly unsafe, but I talked to Raymond today and he said it is pretty much protocol to have a body guard for someone visiting from another country. Part of it might have to do with Filipino hospitality, which is amazing, but Samar can at times be a political hotspot. Raymond said the bodyguard we had was great and he would even call ahead of time to make sure the area was OK for us to be there. And he’s prepared for everything…I was trying to open a box today and he came over within seconds with a knife in hand to open the box…or when I have been walking somewhere outside when it’s dark, he has his flashlight in hand to help me. I forget sometimes that he is here for me until I start to walk away and notice he is close behind. I keep trying to say stuff to make him laugh since he always looks so serious. Very nice to know I’m being watched out for. (and Corey’s happy too J)

I have to say today was amazing. I taught about the first few components of this theory which include psychoeducation, parenting skills, relaxation, and affective modulation. I ended up spending a lot of time on the relaxation part, knowing these workers could use some relaxation, so they ended up loving the Progressive Muscle Relaxation we did together. Prior to doing this, though, I had taught them how to help clients find their safe place using guided imagery. I had the social workers find and draw their safe place (yes, in America this is so….what people make fun of counselors in the movies for, but it was very effective). One lady raised her hand to share (and yes participation has increased dramatically, thankfully). She said she came from a very poor area, and has had a very hard life, but the place she feels safest is when she is in presence of Jesus. She picked up her picture and started crying saying she is most at peace when she knows she is in the middle of God’s will, and knows when she is at church she is safe and the happiest she can be than anywhere else. I was so moved by her story, and so grateful she was willing to be so open and authentic with the group.


That night we ate dinner before finding out we had a surprise dinner planned at the best restaurant in Samar. So….I ended up eating 2 dinners obviously. We ate chili crab and shrimp, and I have to say that every meal I’ve had has been the best seafood I have ever eaten.

No comments: