Monday, April 5, 2010

Friday, April 2

We finished our trip in Baguio, which is a city people in Manila usually go to for colder weather, but because we had been further up north, it felt hotter. Maybe it was a good transition back into Manila. It is a much bigger city, like Manila, and I think it took a minute for us to get readjusted and used to doing things like catching taxis again. Things had gone so smoothly thus far, but the big city of Baguio seemed to stress us out when we first got there.

On the bus ride to get there, we rode with the windows down because there is no A/C (which I think ended up making me sick from either inhaling dust or fumes or something). Remember the pillow my landlord gave me for Valentine's Day? Well, I was sleeping with it propped up against the window area, made one small adjustment, and woke up as it was flying out of the window. I didn't really know what else to do, so I just leaned over to Hope and said "My pillow just fell out of the window." And that was that. I hope my landlord doesn't notice it's gone when she comes to collect my rent tonight.

We went to the market in Baguio, which was really overwhelming. People everywhere, meat all over the place...eels swimming in water and it splashing on my feet. We bought some fresh fruit, and other knick knacks...but shopping there was kind of hard. Women would come up to me and grab my arm to get my attention. Once I looked at them, they would push their (maybe) baby in my face while asking for money. It caught me so off guard I didn't really know what to do, and it was weird how forceful they were in getting my attention. I didn't want to dismiss them, or be mean, but I also knew I couldn't give them money. I didn't want to endorse women who "rent" babies to try to beg for money. While on the other hand, I didn't want to miss an opportunity to "feed Jesus." I was talking to Leah about what happened and was asking what I was supposed to do. She said she knew someone who would buy little packets of peanuts right when they get to the market so they would have some food to hand to beggars when approached. Looking back I wish I would have bought some fruit or something to just hand to them. I don't know...I guess I was caught off guard and will know for next time. I've never experienced beggars like that before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, prada outlet, chanel handbags, longchamp pas cher, longchamp, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louboutin shoes, ugg boots, nike roshe run, louboutin pas cher, tory burch outlet, burberry, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, nike free, air max, nike outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, nike free, replica watches, ugg boots, nike air max, prada handbags, sac longchamp, uggs on sale, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co

Anonymous said...

soccer shoes, vans shoes, louboutin, vans, herve leger, instyler, asics running shoes, hollister, ghd, lululemon, converse, birkin bag, nike roshe, hollister, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, new balance, ray ban, mcm handbags, hollister, nike huarache, insanity workout, celine handbags, nfl jerseys, nike air max, timberland boots, nike air max, chi flat iron, ralph lauren, babyliss, abercrombie and fitch, lancel, jimmy choo shoes, gucci, longchamp, nike trainers, soccer jerseys, converse outlet, oakley, beats by dre, mont blanc, baseball bats, iphone cases, wedding dresses, reebok shoes, p90x workout, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, ferragamo shoes, north face outlet

Anonymous said...

v