Sunday, February 14, 2010

February 13, Saturday evening

The movie last night was OK, what was more interesting was the ride on the MRT (the train). Once we reached the station, I was able to see each car as it rode by, people packed like sardines. No wonder the other interns said they don’t ride it much. Once we paid the really cheap fee, the girls started to separate themselves from mike….i finally was able to figure out they were going to the “girls cab.” Apparently in the more recent years, the train has made a car available to just women, probably to prevent from getting…harassed…..on the train. I was really grateful that I wouldn’t be stuck that close to lots of people I don’t know, and thought maybe new York or DC could use that idea. Probably not possible, considering the mrt is just one route with a few stops. It’s nowhere near as extensive as New York or DC….there were lots of impoverished people hanging around asking for money…very sad.

Today I went looking around for a dress for the wedding we are going to with Hope and Leah. Finding things in your size here is very hard, because apparently I am gargantuan haha. But that’s better anyways, because it means I wont be spending my money all the time. My landlord stopped by to disconnect my cable since I opted to not have it while I’m here, and I left here some herhsey kisses just because she's been so nice and helpful to me. She left me a little heart pillow for valentine’s day. It made me cry that she would be so sweet, in addition to cleaning my apartment (Mom I promised I had already cleaned the before she came, but she just did a more extensive job for me)...sooooo my landlord was my valentine this year. cool.

Tonight is dinner and drinks with Edgar and a potential scuba diving buddy of his. Today I’m feeling like I fit in and that life is beginning. One of the social workers texted me last night and invited me to go to this flower festival in a few weeks. I am really looking forward to hanging out with Filipinos for fun, and not just at work. The interns have made a lot of connections with other ex-pats in the area which I am grateful for having other established friends, but I don’t see myself appreciating the culture if I don’t try to fully immerse myself…which will happen regardless, but still. I mean I know I have already immersed just by moving here...I think what I’m saying is it will help me to adjust if I feel more Filipino, and less visitor….y.