Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February 22, 2010 - what I'm learning about child traffiking

I got to go to a panel today on child traffiking with another intern. I'm pretty sure we will be on TV since there were a ton of news cameras there, so I made sure to have my "listening intently" face on most of the time. I was able to learn a few things, that I didn't realize before. Boys are affected by child traffiking, as well, which I think I assumed, i just didn't realize how prevalent it actually is. I also learned that children are traffiked often for the use of their "donated" organs (kidneys mainly), and are developing a lot of significant medical problems. Some children/families are so poor here, that the selling price for a kidney equals to about $50, and they are doing so without knowing of any possible complications. crazy.


* on a side note...I was meeting up with Mike at the mall today to do some studying at a coffee shop for the training coming up. While waiting for him to arrive, I decided to lean on a railing....that was not attached to anywhere. It proceeded to fall, I awkardly caught it and tried to stand up casually like I meant to do it...wishing mike was there so he could at least laugh at me. Fortunately, a random stranger was there to laugh at me before walking away. I just smiled and waved. Should I just start a blog and write solely about all my of embarassing moments here? or just...in life?

1 comment: